Sunday, May 11, 2008

How do I get fresh ideas?

It is hard to decide what to write about. Most often I tell people to write about what they are interested in. You can pretty much make anything interesting if you try hard enough (not really true, but almost). But I am often at a crossroads when trying to answer this question for myself.

Herein lies my dilemma. Reading fiction bores me. That is to say, reading most fiction bores me.
There are a few fiction books that have held my interest. Although I dislike reading the majority of it, I have found myself coming back to fiction writing time and time again. For some reason I am drawn to writing fiction. This is only the half of it.

I also want to make money from my writing. However, the types of fiction that make the most money(usually) are precisely the kind of books that bore me. I don't want to mention specifics, but I can't stand reading something that just feels like a cookie cutter novel. I just feel like I am not really gaining anything by reading these types of books. This makes writing that kind of novel, for me, pretty much out of the question. I don't want to "sell out".

So what do I do?

I revisit my earlier advice; Write about what interests you. The first thing I do is to find a topic that I am passionate about. It is a lot easier to write about something you know and love, and ipso facto your writings on the subject will be a lot better. After I have a topic, I like to find some way to make that topic relate to an issue I feel passionate about. I find that this makes the writing have a lot more purpose and meaning. Rather than just being entertainment, the story now gives something to the reader that they can take away from the story as well as being entertaining. I think this is one major factor that has been slowly nudged out of mainstream books. I also believe that this is why many books these days just dont "do it" for me.

If you want to write fiction, I urge you, write something that matters. Dont just write mindless mainstream garbage just because it sells. Write something that has the power to affect people; to change people even(in a positive way please). Please help to revive a lost art. Please help to save literature.

No comments: